Why You Should Be Blogging
Business owners I talk to are usually reluctant to blog (I know I was until I started). The excuses can go on and on:
- I don’t have enough time
- I don’t know what to write about
- I don’t think it will do any good
Below are four reasons you should start today, no matter how much you are resisting it.
1. Search Engine Optimization
Blogging is one of the most effective ways to boost your rankings in search engines. It can also be a cost effective way to improve your SEO without having to hire an outside consultant.
There are a number of reasons blogging can help your SEO efforts and have you ranking higher for your chosen keywords:
- Google loves original content: Blogging gives you the perfect platform to publish original content on your website.
- Google loves a website that is growing over time: Every time you publish a new post, you are adding a new page to your website. Adding pages over time shows Google that the site is active and relevant to its searchers.
- It builds inbound links: Writing valuable content will naturally lead to more inbound links to your website from other blogs and from social media. Inbound links (links from other sites to yours) are the biggest factor in ranking high for your given keyword.
- You can target more keywords: Every post (and therefore page) is a chance to target a different keyword. Think of every post as a new doorway into your website.
2. Blogging Increases Credibility
Writing content that has value will build credibility for your business. When a visitor reaches your site, they want to know that a real person is behind it and that the person knows what they are talking about. Blogging gives you the perfect platform to show-off what you know and become a thought leader in your industry. Today’s marketing is all about publishing valuable content in exchange for building credibility and trust with your audience. Give more to get more back. Credibility is also built by responding to comments within the blog. You can start a conversation within your site by responding to comments and answering questions.
3. Creates an active web presence
Remember when it was fine to have a website that was an exact replica of your printed brochure? Today, that will not be enough if you want to attract business online. Your website has to be a living, growing, active marketing vehicle. The best way to make this happen? Blogging. Website visitors will see that you are staying active, still in business, and staying up-to-date on industry trends. A blog makes a website a living vehicle that is constantly updated, rather than a static brochure of your business. It gives visitors a reason to come back again to see what you have to say. They will not come back to see your new services page, that is only something that serves you. You need to serve the customer with valuable content that gives them a reason to come to your website (this is the basis of inbound marketing).
4. It’s Actually Fun!
I know it’s hard to imagine, but blogging for your business can actually be fun. Blogging does not have to be another thing you check off the list. It can be engaging, rewarding and enjoyable. Here are three reasons why:
- The process: The act of coming up with new ideas, researching those ideas and writing about them can be somewhat therapeutic. You can expand on the subjects that have been stuck in your head and get them out for the world to see. What benefit is all your knowledge without allowing other people to benefit from it?
- The conversation: It can be nerve-racking when you get that first comment on a post you have written and need to decide how to respond. But once the ball is rolling, it can be engaging and rewarding. It gives your website a sense of being alive and makes you think deeper about your subject or industry.
- The results: What can be more fun than seeing results. Over time you will be building more links, increasing visitors to your website and ultimately creating more leads for your business.
What are your thoughts on blogging? Has it been good for your business?